I put a before and after photo of an upcycling project on my blog at the weekend and have been overwhelmed by the lovely comments and queries about it- thank you.
So as requested, here is what I did. I’m afraid I don’t have any “during” pictures but I can tell you what I did and what I used.
I’ve already decided that the kitchen/dining/ family area in the new house will be soft neutrals.
I’m a huge fan of Laura Ashley, and have acquired lots of inspiration, and a rather long wishlist from their latest catalogue.
I love this cupboard. It’s made from reclaimed wood and I’ve had it a few years, having bought it second hand. It’s large and rather chunky and I thought I may have to sell it, because the new house (into which we hope to move within the next month or so) is a lot smaller and is modern, compared to the current house which is spacious and a barn conversion.
So I decided to get Laura Ashley paint and wallpaper and see what I could do.
The cupboard had a waxed finish so I used a sugar soap spray to remove all oils, waxes and grease. I wiped it off to leave a clean surface.
The whole cupboard needed a light sanding and then wiping down.
I used Laura Ashley emulsion in pale twine. A 2.5L pot was more sufficient for the three coats it took.
Because the panels on the doors are grooved, I cut a template from card which I then covered with wallpaper. I then used wallpaper paste to stick the cardboard on to the cupboard doors.
The wallpaper is “Oakshaw” in truffle and I think it’s absolutely beautiful. I do love acorns.
I painted and wallpapered the inside. I stuck the wallpaper on directly with wallpaper paste.
For the panels on the inside of the doors, I got a 100ml sample pot in truffle. It was actually a little darker than I wanted, so I mixed some of the pale twine with it until I was happy with the colour.
And finally, I added a pair of ceramic “Hannah” door knobs.
I haven’t painted the internal shelves and I don’t know whether to or not.
I’m so pleased with how it turned out. The materials would have cost about £100, including paint brushes, tray and the sugar soap. However, I everything I got from Laura Ashley had a 30% discount so was probably nearer to £70.
It took a good few days, but I now have a unique piece of furniture for our new home.
I have great plans for this cupboard in its new guise as a larder.
And this another much smaller project. I didn’t take any photographs before I upcycled it, but this Lloyd Loom sprung nursing chair was, (again, Laura Ashley), duck egg blue with floral fabric.
I used the same pale twine paint and got a metre of Chiltern Floral fabric to cover the seat of which I needed less than half.